July 9th was LaReta's first day of chemo.
She woke up and said she didn't feel good but could not specify what was bothering her. No pain and no nausea. She was a little unsteady on her feet. She tends to drift off when I'm not talking to her. She says she thinking, but doesn't know what she's thinking about.
Tuesday the 8th she had a CT Scan of the chest. It is part of the protocol for the study drug that she is getting. We got to the Hospital at 850am for a 930 appointment ( they told me on the 7th that it was a 9am) and checked in and waited, and waited, and waited. Finally a 1015am the receptionist called back to PACU and they said to send us back. After waiting a little more in the Surgery waiting room they brought us back and the nurse did the intake. Mom got to lay down on a gurney and boy did she need it by then. They brought her warm blankets, asked a lot of questions and put in an IV. And then we waited and waited for the IV Fluids to come. They were started at 1130. They brought her some tea. At 1145 I went and got lunch for us both. at 1245 they took her to CT scan and we waited a little more.. They finished the CT scan and took out the IV at 125.. Then we skedaddled to the clinic for Chemo teaching.
They were quick. We watched a 25 minute video about Chemo and it's side effects. I fell asleep. I had been up all day Monday, worked all night Monday night and was still up at 145pm Tuesday. Luckily I am an Oncology Nurse and I know about chemo and its side effects.
Then Betty the PA talked to us about the specific chemo, Gemzar, its regimen and side effects. Then Rachel, the study drug nurse, talked to us about the study drug. We were done at 3pm.
Wednesday we went back to the clinic- third day in a row. We got there at 1pm and were done at 3pm. She had a lab draw before the study drug and after all the chemo was done. I was impressed with the service- warm blankets, snacks, caring and efficiency.
Today is Thursday the 10th . Mom woke up today and said I'm not doing well today. She is drifty, and complains of pain across her chest below her rib cage. I took her Blood Pressure (BP). it was good and 115/53. She took her morning meds and I gave her a pain pill and her study drug. She complained that her throat hurt. I looked at her tongue. It is coated white. I looked at the top of her throat and didn't see anything wrong. So I called the Dr's office. I am wating for a call back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I am saying a prayer right now that Nana bounces back and feels a lot better.
Give her a hug for me, ok?
Let's keep our fingers crossed and say lots of prayers... is it possibly thrush?? from all the meds??
Kiss Nana for me and all the kids.. we are all loving and missing her...
I am not suprised mom isn't feeling well-- alot of things going on ..... thanks for update sis... I called bob so he could check his email and sent the link to April and Eldon..
Post a Comment