Sunday, July 13, 2008

Less Pain

Sunday July 13,th

Hi all,
Mom has had a rough few days. The nausea meds and the pain meds made her so lethargic that she basically could barely function. Thursday she went to have a Protime to keep tabs on her coumadin level. It was too high. I spoke to Dr. Rose and they will handle it from their office so one less place for mom to go.

On Friday she had NO appointments. She stayed in bed most of the day, sat in her chair and slept the rest of the time. It was hard to get her to drink the fluids she needs to keep from getting dehydrated. I stopped giving her the Oxycodone unless she asked for it. On Saturday morning I gave her 2 Tylenol with Codeine. She was a little more alert. We went to see Keith. She wanted to go but it was too much for her- as she told me later. She was not her usual spunky self- she was obviously tired. We stayed about an hour after Keith got there. I got her a bottle of water and she drank the whole thing (with a lot of encouragement).

We managed to get about a quart of water down her yesterday. I was worried that she was dehydrated and was planning to take her to the hospital this morning, but she started peeing and looked better. Today she has drank nearly 2 quarts of fluid.

Her mouth is started to heal, but it is very slow going. She is eating extremely small amounts of food. It is hard to find anything to tempt her palate. Everything is too sweet, or too rich.

But she is slowly getting better. I think.

We see the Doctor on Tuesday and has her second Chemo on Wednesday. On Thursday she sees the Surgeon about getting an implanted Port. Busy week again.

One good thing- Her pain level is much better. Small amounts of nausea but the compazine takes care of it.

That's it for today.

Bonnie

1 comment:

MistressRia said...

Is the lethargy getting better without so much pain meds?? And I thought the tylenol was bad for her liver...
Hopefully we can find something she will enjoy eating. Give her my love... kisses and hugs
Ria