Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mom is Tired

July 30 630 am

I stayed the night with mom last night. She appears very tired. She moans with almost every breath out. She is having no pain except in her mouth. She is difficult to rouse at times. She has gone from drinking water every 20 minutes to a few times in an 8 hour shift. Her Morphine drip is still at a minuscule 0.2mg per hour. Yesterday she said she was short of breath (SOB) when asked , so we raised her oxygen (O2) from 4L to 6L/minute. We are not checking vital signs- Blood Pressure, Pulse, Respirations , Temperature or O2 Saturation- so we don't know any numbers. We are just keeping her comfortable. When I count resps they are about 22. Normal is around 12-16 per minute.

The nurses are turning her every 2 hours, and doing mouth care. They are assessing her pain level, lung sounds and mouth sores. They are taking very good care of her - and us. I am so grateful for the caliber of nurses that I work with. I know this is not just because she is my mother but because of the compassionate, loving, caring people that they are.

Paul will be here today, and Keith tomorrow. Scot may be here today.

I believe it will be just days before she passes to be with Dad (Lloyd). I am sad, but she does not want to live like this. She does not want to be a burden.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the update. I really appreciate it!!!! Jill

PiBarb said...

Thank you for the update. Just talked to Chris. Scot had vehicle issues, Bronco pooped out in Rock Springs. They purchased another vehicle and are currently in Utah -- won't be to their new home in Aloha until late Thursday at the earliest.